Hey Barry, I want to share a tip with you (and anyone else who runs a google
group or would want to join one):

People can join just by sending an email to:

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (where GGname is the Google Group
name)

So for yours, they'd send to

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The user will receive an email from google asking them to confirm their
interest in joining. Once they confirm, they're in, and the next email to
the list will come to them (and they can reply to it).

If the group requires the manager's permission to join, this won't work and
they'll be told they have to request permission to join via the group's home
page.

Of course, they should send that email from whatever email account whose
address they want to join from. And as you said, they don't need a google
account for it (nor a gmail address), though if they do subscribe through
the group's web interface (and create a google account, whether for a gmail
address or any other), that will give them access to the google group's web
interface, which will allow them to search the archives and provide access
to any calendar or files area. Most groups don't seem to bother with those,
so for many, this quick subscription by email can be a help. And it should
save you needing to be the middle man to subscribe them, Barry. :-)

PS And yes, I just tested it and did indeed join the group.

/charlie