UPDATE  TableA
SET             ColumnC = ColumnB

Simple?

-----Original Message-----
From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Darren Tracey
Sent: Thursday, 4 October 2007 11:57 AM
To: cfaussie
Subject: [cfaussie] SQL problem

Sorry about posting this here, but I'm having a fuzzy brain day and can't
work out how to do this.

I have a table in an MSSQL DB which we shall call TableA.
It has a bunch of fields including ColumnA, ColumnB, and ColumnC.
ColumnA is the unique identifier.
I need a single SQL statement that will copy the values from ColumnB for
each record and put them into ColumnC for the same record in the same table.

I'm not after a CF solution for this (eg. select all records from table,
loop over query results, update each record).
I've got a nagging feeling that I can do this in a single SQL statement
(some sort of update with a nested select), and that I've done it before,
but I can't remember how to do it and Google is not being my friend today.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Darren Tracey