Andrea,

I'd recommend against the shared repository - I went that way with a team a
few years ago and it was very painful.  You have the difficulties of user
tracking etc, and when you start using tags and branches properly everything
goes to hell, but primarily we found using the dev server location for
actually committing was a real pain, as designers would regularly drop in
folders, overwrite things or move things about and totally stuff up the .svn
folders etc :)

Let them have just a copy of the codebase on their machines so they can
update and commit their work, make sure your repository is automatically
publishing to the design server, and let the designers cut n paste their
files and folders across to test them, safest all round.

Toby