But Andrew, can you name anything other than that that it lacks? It's about
the only limitation listed here:

http://developers.sun.com/javadb/features/faqs.jsp

(Derby is known also as Sun's JavaDB, as well as formerly--and still-as IBM
Cloudscape.)

Really, I just think you're stuck on this TOP thing. Would you be shocked to
learn that many developers could go years without needing or using the TOP
predicate in SQL? I have, and I'm sure I'm not unique. (There've been other
DBMS's over the years that didn't support it at one time or another, so some
just have gotten used to accepting a lowest common denominator and
programming around such a challenge.)

You just keep saying Derby's got "serious limitations", yet I don't see
them. Since I keep pointing to things that show so much that it's capable
of, I'm just asking if you can point at something that says what it doesn't
do.

I simply want people to be able to decide for themselves, not take either of
our assertions as fact. That's all.

As for using a cached query, goodness, why would you be averse to that out
of hand?  There can be times when it may not be wise (a huge result, or too
many variations stored over and over), but I can totally argue in favor of
using cached queries (whether in a shared scope or using CachedWithin) if
done well.

You seem to live in a world of absolutes, Andrew. :-) As a consultant, I
can't help but be more flexible and say always, "it depends". Again, in that
regard, I'm all about sharing info to let people decide for themselves.

/charlie