Hi all,

We are just embarking on a WebServices project and I would like some opinion
on the best way to run authentication for it.

I am looking for opinion on each of the following methods with regards to
the ease it takes to integrate to it from another language or CF. We could
have .NET, Java etc connecting to it so we need something that is secure,
but still straight forward for others to integrate with quickly.

As far as I know there would be 3 ways to handle the authentication on a
high level, Cookie/session, custom token, auth on every request. I have done
this before, but never sought opinion from the outside world.

My thoughts are as follows:

- Cookies: can be used to save data provided by CF to refer back to session
or client variables just the same way as a browser session. OK, but I
understand that the cookie values would be written into the SOAP header.
This would also involve extra programming on the consumer side.
Pro: CF handles timeouts etc simply via the application.cfc, only login once
Con: extra coding for consumer to turn around headers each request

- Custom token
Pro: only lookup user once
Con: token changes on each request to update timestamp. Custom code to work
out timeouts and if still logged in etc.

- Pass username / password on each request:
Pro: no persistent data, no complications of passing specific variables back
and forth
Con: have to pass probably more data than required, more processing than
required as will have to look up user on every request.

1) Do any of these require more work for, say, a Java or .NET developer to
consume than another one?
2) Is passing the usr/pwd on every request considered unsecure? (This will
run over SSL exclusively).
3) Is there best practice in the CF world for this? If so is it one of these
methods or something I missed?

Thanks all!

--
Duncan I Loxton