IMHO the most important feature about transactions is failure and
automatic rollback.

I'm not sure threading and throwing a "fail" flag for the other thread
to pick up would be practical. it's not the splitting of the threads,
but the join to know what happened "on the other side". In any case
the start, commit/rollback for each would need to be on it's own
thread (back to the single connection per cftransaction)

but it's still an interesting thought... next time I've got some spare
minutes to throw some code around...