A big thank you to Barry Kym and Joel for your suggestions.

As it turns out, when I did a bit more digging I discovered that the
problem was in the way the data was being compiled in the first place.
Once I fixed that up, the problem went away entirely. *sigh*

On the other hand, I now have a host of tricks up my sleeve for this
sort of thing in the future, which is always to the good. I'll be
playing with them once this deadline is behind me to see if I can put
together a bit of a library.

Cheers everyone! :)

Seona.