Hi Seona,

I like to use a LEFT OUTER JOIN for a query like this. It would look something
like

       SELECT  u.emailaddress, u.firstname, u.surname, u.rec_id,
bde.bde_entrydate
       FROM    users u
                       INNER JOIN body_diaries bd
ON u.rec_id = bd.bdi_usr_id
                      left outer join JOIN body_diary_entries bde
ON bd.bdi_id = bde.bdi_id
where
bde.bdi_id is null

which should return users that have body_diaries, but NO body_diary_entries.
you can add in the left outer join clause the date parameter for that day. eg

                      left outer join JOIN body_diary_entries bde
ON bd.bdi_id = bde.bdi_id and
entry_date > #CreateODBCDate(     todays_date     )#

Scott Thornton, Programmer
Billing Unit
Hunter-New England Area Health Service
ext: 51762 p: +61 02 491 51762 m: 0413 800 242

>>> "Seona Bellamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 22/08/2008 11:54 am >>>

Hi all!

Have a system that people are supposed to log into every day and make
an entry. I've been asked to created a scheduled task that every
evening will look for all of the users who haven't made an entry today
and send them a reminder email, but I'm having trouble getting me head
around how to get that information.

I have the following query, called "qReminders", that gets all of the entries:

       SELECT  u.emailaddress, u.firstname, u.surname, u.rec_id,
bde.bde_entrydate
       FROM    users u
                       INNER JOIN body_diaries bd ON u.rec_id = bd.bdi_usr_id
                       INNER JOIN body_diary_entries bde ON bd.bdi_id
= bde.bde_bdi_id
       WHERE   u.user_level = 1
       ORDER BY u.rec_id, bde.bde_entrydate

So then I thought I'd do a query-of-query on this one to get the
details of all the people who haven't made an entry today, but I can't
figure out what the filtering clauses would be. Just getting the
records that aren't today's won't work. I need a way to say "where
bde_entrydate does not include today's date in one of the records
returned for this user".

Is this even a good way to go about it? I'm concerned that doing an
initial query that gets everything could become quite stupidly large
over time.

Cheers,

Seona.