<cfset application.x  = y>

There ya go. :) That assumes Y is a query. Here is a more fuller, but
still a bit pseudo-code, example:

<cfif not structKeyExists(application,"states")>

  <cfquery name="getStates" datasource="foo">
  select id, name
  from states
  </cfquery>

  <cfset application.states = getStates>
</cfif>

Obviously this could be wrapped up into a CFC.