I agree with Mark.

Wouldn't do it on shared hosting. A dedicated server is quite cheep in the
US, you just need to licence all your products. But if you take a Linux /
Railo / MySQL path its all free.

I would encrypt the data, store it in the database.

I would not store the key in either code or on the file system.

The key should only live in ram and only while needed.

Thus you should get the user to enter the key or the key should be generated
by some entered info.

Ie the key is a hash of the username / password. Obviously they can't change
their password.

Also, be very very very careful, that you do not lose the key.

Regards
Dale Fraser

http://dale.fraser.id.au
http://learncf.com