Thank you all for replying, I feel I should apologize - I can't access gmail
during the day at the moment :(

@Dale yes one of those would be nice, been trying for years.

@Mark True. I don't know why I said browsers.

Importing the certificate is not going to help in this case. Or at least I
can't find a way to tell the keystore 'hey, this host, with this cert, is
okay by me'.

After some investigation, I found how the hostname validation is done and it
is possible to implement your own hostname to certificate validator.
Ref:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#SettingHostnameVerifier

I had great hopes for this utility class below;
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/WebObjects/Web_Services/How_to_Trust_Any_SSL_Certificate

It has exactly what I need: SSLUtilities.trustAllHostnames()

I compiled this class and called it from CF but it had no effect. My guess
is it's a classloader issue. I'm not quite giving up and I'll try again
tomorrow. Perhaps someone more java-nerdy has some ideas? (Mandel I'm
looking at you!).

Maybe this could/should be done from CFML ... <cfhttp verifyHost="false" ...
/>

Cheers and thanks again.