Hi Chong,
And thanks for the suggestion. I had no idea where the logs were;

I don;t know how it helps but here is the relevant part of the log at the time
of the crash.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-08-20 11:14:44.010
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to
local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be
overwritten using t
he values from the preferences
!SESSION 2010-08-20 11:14:51.366 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product -keyring
/Users/gavinb/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws carbon -arch x86 -product
org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product -keyring /Users/gavinb/.eclipse_keyring
-showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository 4 0 2010-08-20 11:14:52.410
!MESSAGE ProvisioningEventBus could not be obtained. Metadata caches may not be
cleaned up properly.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2010-08-20 11:14:53.325
!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session;
refreshing workspace to recover changes.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2010-08-20 11:14:56.552
!MESSAGE Unable to find Action Set: com.adobe.ide.coldfusion.ui.ExternalToolsSet

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2010-08-20 11:14:59.163
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred.  They may interfere with normal
accelerator operation.

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2010-08-20 11:14:59.163
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for COMMAND+SHIFT+F12:
Binding(COMMAND+SHIFT+F12,

ParameterizedCommand(Command(com.adobe.flexbuilder.flashbridge.export.publish.movie,&Publish
 Movie,
                Publish in Flash Professional,

Category(com.adobe.flexbuilder.flashbridge.flashProCommands,Flash
Professional,null,true),
                ,
                ,,true),null),
        org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
        org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,carbon,system)
Binding(COMMAND+SHIFT+F12,

ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.ui.command.searchForTask,Search
 Repository for Task,
                ,
                Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.navigate,Navigate,null,true),
                org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.tasks.ui.search.SearchTaskHandler,
                ,,true),null),
        org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
        org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,,system)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-08-20 11:14:59.278
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to
local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be
overwritten using the values from the preferences

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2010-08-20 11:15:48.434
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable
(java.lang.NullPointerException)
        at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3884)
        at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3799)
        at
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:137)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3342)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3071)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2405)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2369)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
        at
org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
        at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
        at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
        at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
        at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
        at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
        at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
        at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
        at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
        at
        at
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
        at
org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.RecreateMonkeyMenuAction.createTheMenu(RecreateMonkeyMenuAction.java:118)
        at
org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.actions.RecreateMonkeyMenuAction.run(RecreateMonkeyMenuAction.java:71)
        at
org.eclipse.eclipsemonkey.UpdateMonkeyActionsResourceChangeListener$2.run(UpdateMonkeyActionsResourceChangeListener.java:256)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
        at
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:134)
        ... 22 more

I have no idea what any of it means or really how to read it either... I don;t
code in java and don;t know how to read a stack trace - well not to the point
of being able to use it effectively to pin-point the error anyway.

I am a little surprised to find anything in the log to be honest. The entire
MAC locks up with some message about pressing and holding the power button
until the mac turns off - and the restarting it.
With such a catastrophic event I am not so sure that anything relevant to the
actual crash will make it into the eclipse log....

Also it might be worth noting that the error messages posted above are
replicate many times throughout the history of the log.

As always, please contact me if I can be of any futher assistance.

Gavin "Beau" Baumanis
Senior Application Developer
PalCare Pty. Ltd.

P: +61 -3 9380 3513