thanks Gav

> I'd do something along the lines of;
> Create a new branch in your repository (SVN / Git / etc) of choice and
> use that branch as the ApplicationRoot for the application that the
> BAs/Testers use.
> That way, any changes you end up making can now be tracked and "more
> easily" merged back into your mainline of development.

If our guys haven't got an agreement with the vendor to access their
repositiory (turnkey app with customisations, 10 large clients), they
should have there own, being updated be the release of  service packs
and hotfixes ... (so us branching isn't too big a deal)

> It is a two-edged sword, though.
> You'll need to ensure that any "core" code updates are now applied to
> the new branch as well as the mainline.
> Which is extra overhead - but without doing this, the merge back into
> the mainline from the the 2012 branch will be a really painful
> experience.

That must be it. There must be so few resources that branching is too
expensive and what's really happening is preperation for the 2012
upgrade by incorporating some of it now (and seeing how it goes).

Fair enough.

thanks again Gav.

Barry