Because we can hit a database and we authenticate the user they can
enter pretty much any info from the printed certificate to validate
it. We do store the hashed key for lookup.

Checksums (with my limited understanding) are probably more useful in
cases where you can't get back to check a database to verify a value.
I guess the other thing with checksums is, I think, they are not as
bullet proof (unless you get into stupidly long keys). From memory the
checksum on an ISSN conversion to a EAN ISBN is one digit (don't quote
me, it was a while ago I did it).

Rawdy