Hi Claude. Whenever one talks about problems with the CF Report Builder
(which is used by only a tiny fraction of folks, from my observation of the
community), it's always important to clarify what version of CF you're
using, meaning the specific point release, and also what hotfixes (if any)
have been applied. The report builder is something which has been tweaked in
various updates, so you never know if a problem you're hitting might be
related to a fix you just have not applied.

Since determining exactly what hotfixes are applied is not easy in CF9 and
earlier, I have a blog entry to help with that:

http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2012/6/18/what_hotfixes_have_b
een_applied

And though I know you're a long-time CF user, if you (or anyone reading
this) may need help knowing what hotfixes may exist for your given version
and how to apply them (which is often not easy to do well), I cover that
here:

http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2014/3/14/cf9_and_earlier_hotf
ix_guide

HTH