I might missing something seriously and it is late at night
but is there a module that can be plugged in easily that would
provide authentication in a regular CGI environment ?

Does something like that exist for CGI::Application ?

While I know about Cheespizza I am thinking about a lot less involved
thing that only handles login/logout and restricting users to access
certain pages (or run modes).

Gabor
ps. maybe CGI::Session::Auth is what I am looking for ?