From: "Ron Savage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>I don't use timeout, I send every char back to a Perl module (RPC.pm),
> which connects to the db, and then does:

Ron, since AJAX is asynchronous, what are the risks that typing "savag"
would result in 6 search results arriving back to the client out of order?
(Maybe a search request reaches the server later than subsequent requests?
Or, the server finishes one later? Or, the results take a different network
path back and arrive later?)

I think this question applies if a keyboard timeout is used too (although
less likely). Your use without a timeout made me think about it. :) Is it
really a concern in AJAX when a page operation implies (assumes)
serialization but AJAX doesn't provide it. Could (should?) a sequential ID
be added to (and returned with) each request so the java script could
discard unwanted results? For example, if it sends searches "s", "sa", "sav"
by the time the results of the first search return the client-side script
should know it's waiting for the results of another search. It seems like it
would make the results behave better *and* avoid the possibility of results
coming back out of order?

I don't know too much about AJAX. Please be kind if I'm completely wrong
about something.

Mark