> What are some of the best practices around splitting up the derived classes?
> Do people create "sub-applications" for major pieces of functionality and
> then tie them together with multiple instance scripts from a "top level"
> page?

I create a subapp for every single unit of work. For example, I would
have a reporting sub-app that drives the reporting section. In my
latest app, this has 4 runmodes. If I were to have a preferences page,
that would be its own sub-app, even if it's just one runmode.

> I find that C::A applications end up being large single files. I understand
> that C::A takes a centralized approach versus an distributed embedded
> approach but this makes team development difficult. Does anybody have any
> best practices they'd like to share around this?

The person who introduced me to C::A told me that if you have more
than 12 runmodes in a sub-app, you should look at splitting it up. My
personal rule of thumb is closer to 6. I've never found a reason to
have more than 8 runmodes in a single sub-app.

Rob