On 2005-12-08, Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  People who have to use CGI

How common is it for shared hosting packages to come with FastCGI or
modperl support?

(I haven't shopped around much for hosting packages because I'm hosting
company myself...)

In my experience using Perl on the web, running under plain CGI is the
norm, and thus very relevant.

Isn't it the case that even FastCGI has some persistent memory usage?

I wonder if FastCGI hosters are doing anything special to deal with the
extra resource burden, besides putting more memory into their machines.

Of course, if the scripts were really popular, there would be less
overall load than having a dozens of CGI scripts loading and running at
the same time, so perhaps it's in their interest to offer the service,
and let the memory swap to disk if there is a FastCGI script sitting
there without accesses.

    Mark