I do the following:

    use POSIX qw( strftime );

    $self->header_add(
        # date in the past
        -expires       => 'Sat, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT',
        # always modified
        -Last_Modified => strftime('%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S GMT', gmtime),
        # HTTP/1.0
        -Pragma        => 'no-cache',
        # HTTP/1.1
        -Cache_Control => join(', ', qw(
            no-store
            no-cache
            must-revalidate
            post-check=0
            pre-check=0
        )),
    );

It's a whole bunch of guns, but one of them usually ends up working.

Rob