Michael et al,

Thanks for all the suggestions. The dbprof one is very useful, and actually I've figured that the problem is 95% to do with the logging I've setup in the system.

The bottleneck was in the fact I set up logging to debug the applications easily, and it's writing to a file. When load testing, it's doing lots of writes per connection, and I reckon that's where the bottleneck is. Turning it off didn't make that much difference, but it did make enough. Still think that it could be my apache setup though.

Is there a decent logging plugin for cgiapp? Would be REALLY helpful to be able to just have a plugin for it.

I picked cgiapp because it is lightweight. I haven't got access to put mod_perl on the server, so I'm having to go straight cgi, but as soon as the site goes to it's own server, mod_perl is going straight on!

How did you optimize your db connections?

Optimising db connections: cutting down the number of DB connections per request. I remember load testing and doing quality assurance on a UK government website (to remain nameless), and the front page (and pretty much every subsequent page) was making 50+ database calls per request. They were wondering why it was going slow. So optimising the database connections is about figuring out how to get the Database to do the work it should be doing, and doing as few calls as possible within each request.

Would be helpful if there was a way of caching the contents of a query within an application though. So that 1 database result set is stored for every user for a set period of time. Anyone?

Paul