On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Mark A. Fuller wrote:

The idea of die'ing anywhere in my application seems elegant to
me. Right now I have to do my own $template processing anywhere an
unexpected/unrecoverable error occurs (to display a common page).

Have you looked at error_mode()?  I think it offers exactly what
you're looking for,

I've always heard "eval" is slow. Will it slow everything that
happens behind the "run" method? Or, is it just a cost involved with
starting eval?

Eval has two uses - eval on a string compiles code dynamically.  This
is the slow one:

  eval "some perl here";

It also serves as Perl's "try" implementation, catching exceptions:

  eval { some code here; }

This is not at all slow.  Yes, Perl sucks for combining them.  Oh
well, at least we have CPAN.

-sam