Mark,

CGI::Application::Dispatch::Server was released in Summer of '07, in part
because CGI::Application::Server didn't have dispatching support.

But soon after, in the fall, CGI::Application::Server was released, which
supports both dispatched and "regular" CGI::App entry points.

In reviewing the projects today, it seems likes CGI::Application::Server seems
to cover all the bases. Is there any reason not to combine efforts and focus on
just CGI::Application::Server ?
As far as I can tell ::Dispatch::Server doesn't seem to offer much additional
functionality, or a significantly different API.

Having both will certainly be confusing some new users now due to the similarity. At a minimum, at least of them should document its differences and benefits over the other.

I fully agree here. The impression I got is that since there is a CGI::Application::Dispatch::Server, then I must use that if I use CAD.

It's been a while since I looked at either closely, so I just looked at the source and here are my first opinions of what would need to be done to CA::Server to handle the way that I was using CAD::Server.

- Need a way to specify parameters to dispatch()

- Both handle output capturing different.  Is one better than the other?

- The order in which static files is served is different.

I set up my apps so that / is dispatched, but /static maps to static files. Looking at CA::Server, it does not appear that this would be possible currently because it would always try and dispatch. In CAD::Server it tries to serve files staticly first before sending to dispatch. I think the best solution would be to specify a way to mark an entry point in the CA::Server config to specify static content. Then I could do something like this:

  $server->entry_points({
      '/' => 'My::App::Dispatch',
'/static' => undef, # or maybe even pass a directory path to override document_root
  });

Other than these points the code looks to be basically the same. I'd like to see them combined.

Regards,
Bradley C Bailey

#####  CGI::Application community mailing list  ################
##  To unsubscribe, or change your message delivery options,  ##
##  visit:  http://www.erlbaum.net/mailman/listinfo/cgiapp    ##
##  Web archive:   http://www.erlbaum.net/pipermail/cgiapp/   ##
##  Wiki:          http://cgiapp.erlbaum.net/                 ##