On 28/09/16 01:27, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
Hi Jamie,

I won't force commit on master, obviously (well, I've violated this in
the past, but don't intend to in the future). But I'd likely rebase
for-jason branches when merging if that makes the merge strategy

THis should preferably avoided; let the owner of the branch do that rebase or let him merge master into his branch first. That way the guy that knows what is going on the branch will handle the conflicts.

Then you can merge to master.
These merges should always be without conflict.

easier. The for-jason branches will be ephemeral; after I merge to
master, they'll be deleted. Here's the output from this process I
carried out earlier today, to give a better impression.

Does that seem reasonable, or is there some common edge case I'm neglecting?

Regards,
Jason

zx2c4@thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 23, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (23/23), done.
From ssh://git.zx2c4.com/cgit
* [new branch]      ch/css-highlight-table-rows ->
origin/ch/css-highlight-table-rows
* [new branch]      ch/for-jason                -> origin/ch/for-jason
* [new branch]      ch/git-2-10-0               -> origin/ch/git-2-10-0
zx2c4@thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
zx2c4@thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git merge origin/ch/for-jason
Updating ff9893a..11695a5
Fast-forward
Makefile    |  2 +-