---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jay Chen <jay.c...@nyu.edu>
Date: Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Subject: [TIER] Research Assistantship / PhD Student Positions at the NYU
Abu Dhabi Design Technology Lab (DTL)
To: t...@tier.cs.berkeley.edu

 *Research Assistantship / PhD Student Positions at the NYU Abu Dhabi
Design Technology Lab (DTL)*

If you are creative, have good eye for design, want to build systems, tools
and apps and are willing to quickly self-learn whatever system, programming
language, or environment needed to get the job done, apply to work at the
Design Technology Lab (DTL). DTL is a research lab that fosters a deeply
interdisciplinary approach to technology design. We value a "let's get the
job done" mentality, creativity and we rapidly prototype all our design
ideas. We release most of our code as open source and we publish our work
at top Computer Science research venues.

To qualify, you must have strong technical skills, especially in data
analysis, web programming, distributed systems, mobile app development
and/or development for gadgets such as Smartphones, Kinect, Arduino and the
like. For example, a successful applicant can author a multi-stage pipeline
that cleans a dataset, loads it into a database, writes a script to analyze
it in python or Mapreduce, visualizes it and publishes it on the web.
Another applicant can write an app to track user locations, collect data
and store it on a central server for further analysis and distribution. Yet
another applicant can work on context appropriate solutions for developing
regions. Applicants should have a combination of skills or demonstrated
adaptability in quickly learning new skills.

This position is based in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. Salary and Benefits are
competitive.

*Desired Skills & Experience*

Education

·         Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science

·         Worked on large-scale computer science projects as a software
developer/programmer

·         Dealt with customer specifications and system architects in
putting together the entire system

·         Worked in a rapid prototyping environment or a research lab

·         Worked on open source projects

Skills & Expertise

·         Systems/Server programming (Java, C/C++, Perl, Python, etc.)

·         Javascript and web programming

·         SQL, Postgres or MySQL

·         Mobile App Development - iOS/Android

·         Hadoop, MapReduce, SQL

·         D3, Processing or other visualization software

·         Git or version control software

Communication Skills

·         Fluent in English

·         Willing to engage in design meetings and present ideas and
solutions to sponsors, researchers and fellow developers.

*Company Description*

This posting is for a research assistant in the DTL a lab led by Professors
Jay Chen and Azza Abouzied at New York University Abu Dhabi. New York
University has established itself as a Global Network University, a
multi-site, organically connected network encompassing key global cities
and idea capitals. The network has three foundational, degree-granting
campuses: New York, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai, complemented by a network of
more than fifteen research and study-away sites across five continents.

*To Apply, Please email nyuad....@gmail.com <nyuad....@gmail.com> with your
resume, research statement or cover letter.*