Hi everyone!

Quick reminder that for tomorrow's Change seminar (May 9th), we will be
hearing from Rebecca M. Jonas (she/her). Rebecca's talk is titled "Centering
Culture in Digital Literacy Education: Lessons from Rural Appalachia".

*Description*

In building and deploying a digital storytelling system to teach digital
literacy skills to rural Appalachians, we discovered key opportunities and
challenges to promoting digital literacy in this region. We identified that
the importance of storytelling in Appalachian culture made digital
storytelling an effective means of teaching these skills to residents.
However, the poor technology infrastructure at our study site posed
challenges to our participants’ ability to use technology and learn new
skills. In this talk, I will discuss key findings from a digital literacy
research intervention in a small, rural Appalachian community. I will also
present preliminary findings from ongoing ethnographic research on digital
access and skills in the Appalachian region. This work highlights the
unique culture of Appalachia and how culture can be taken into account to
improve the efficacy of technology interventions.

*Seminar Details*

*Location*: Tuesdays from 12-1pm in 271 CSE2 (The Bill and Melinda Gates
Center)

*Zoom:* https://washington.zoom.us/j/93100061611
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/washington.zoom.us/j/93100061611__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jLJRdcRiY3moGftAfI2tKd830IN_o6aaIpd50l7QTSaufUz7DDxsbdqGg6ZBKiJ6DZsrD6cWm0NJtD4y81ZEmg$>

*Presenter Bio*

Rebecca is a PhD candidate in the Penn State Informatics program studying
human-computer interaction and social + organizational informatics under
advisement of Dr. Kelley Cotter <https://kelleycotter.com/>. She primarily
employs qualitative methods to gain a deep, nuanced understanding of how
people interact with technology. She is particularly interested in rural
computing and understanding the unique experiences of rural technology
users. In her dissertation research, she investigates intra-rural digital
divides, which are digital inequalities present between and within rural
communities. She is also developing and evaluating digital literacy
education that is informed by cultural tenets of rural Appalachia. She
is invested
in understanding the ways that technology creates and perpetuates injustice
and aims to remediate those injustices through transformative approaches to
technology. Towards this goal, she is a member of the Liberatory Tech
Scholars Community
<https://sites.psu.edu/crittech/liberatory-tech-scholars/> at Penn State
where she works with a group of interdisciplinary scholars to engage with
the Black radical tradition to reimagine and develop new systems.

Best,

UW Change Organizers