--- Begin Message ---
Howdy,

My neighborhood group, GRIA, is putting on a big event *next Saturday*, and
I'd like to invite you to attend.

There will be music (fellow Remingtonian *Caleb Stine!*) food, drink,
artwork, photography and - my personal favorite - *old photographs of
Remington (some involving streetcars!)* collected from various public and
private sources.  This will be the public kick-off for a series of community
planning meetings that will take place over the summer, with the ultimate
goal of creating a comprehensive community plan that is adopted by the City
Council.

However, I assure you that this will be *considerably more entertaining than
a community planning meeting* - trust me!

Please read on for more information.  I hope to see you there.

Best,

Chris

*The Greater Remington Improvement Association
<http://www.griaonline.org>announces
*

*Remington Stories: Images from the past, visions for the future
*

*Artwork and audio created for and by Remington residents*

The Greater Remington Improvement Association (GRIA) announces *Remington
Stories: Images from the past, visions for the future. Artwork and audio
created for and by Remington residents.**  *This event will take place on *May
16th at 2800 Remington
Ave.<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2800+remington+ave+21211&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=KZIASo_2LZWjtge_3d2RBg&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A>from
1:00 - 5:00 pm.
*

Between 1pm and 3pm, you will have the opportunity to view artwork, listen
to the youth radio pieces, record your own community story, participate in
an art-making activity, and speak directly with the residents. Between 3pm
and 5pm entertainment will be provided by local Remington musicians: *Caleb
Stine, MacGregor Burns, and the Beller Family.*

This exhibition features artwork and audio from Art on Purpose’s *Remington
Youth Project Radio (RYPR), *old and new photographs of the neighborhood
collected from Remington residents and organized by members of the Greater
Remington Improvement Association, photographic portraits of Remington
business owners by resident Andy Cook and other resident artwork reflecting
their thoughts and opinions on their community.

*Remington Youth Project Radio* (RYPR) is a project of Art on Purpose, a
community arts organization dedicated to using art to bring people together
around issues and ideas.  Since October of 2008, RYPR youth participants
ages 8 -15 have become interviewers, documentarians, artists and all around
good listeners in a project aimed at collecting and disseminating Remington
residents’ stories and opinions about their community and the issues facing
it. The youth, with guidance from Art on Purpose Program Director Beth
Barbush, created ready-for-radio audio pieces, interviewed numerous adult
residents, made art reflecting their findings, and have built a portrait of
the hidden stories of the neighborhood and those who live there.

*The Greater Remington Improvement Association *sees this as* *an important
event not only to share and celebrate stories, voices, and opinions that
have not been previously collected, but also to allow new voices to be heard
and considered as GRIA works to form Remington’s Community Plan. GRIA hopes
that this event will be a great tool for identifying direct concerns and
will help the neighborhood facilitate the creation of a plan to implement
new changes from the residents’ gathered ideas.  GRIA also hopes that it
will bring together an intergenerational group of residents and newcomers
into Remington to learn about what the community and its residents have to
offer.

*
*The event is *free and open to the public.  *Refreshments will be provided*.
*For directions and more information visit www.griaonline.org

--- End Message ---