>From the pages about eli " (J is both free and uses ASCII characters but it
is more terse and difficult to learn than APL)."

I do not share this view but many people do.

I think it important to get rid of this notion.

Very many people use APL and J to show how you can solve tasks using as few
signs as possible.

I think it is i portant to show that you can solve tasks in J in the
tradional way and then if needed/wanted changed into something more fun.

There is not a huge importance getting the terse code compiled.

Any possible compilation would be a small subset.

Getting applications more easily running in a standalone fashion is
something that could be important.

And yet again more demos etc is something of interest and needed.

A lot is happening and has been done but still we see theq quote above.