Tried an experiment last night. I run UMBUTU under VMWare under Windows 7
(8G). I upped UMBUTU to 4G and started J there. Ran +/i.5e8 which caused
UBUNTU page heavily. Then brought up FireFox on UMBUTU. It was slow to
start, but once up it responded instantly even though J was still causing
heavy paging. While that was going on I switched over to Windows and there
Windows was very sluggish. Press the return on a trivial request and it
took at a second or more to Windows to respond.

My guess as to what is going on in Windows may be all wrong, but for some
reason Windows can't handle heavy paging well where UMBUTU can.