Sam Joseph wrote:

> So my friend Shimogori-san had a point.  When I pay my phone bill I'm
> potentially adding resources to that company who might use that for
> things I disapprove of.  In Freenet I'm devoting some of my resources
> (i.e. some hard disk space and potentially some bandwidth), and
> fundamentally this is no different.  I give the phone company some money
> to pay my phone bill.  I give Freenet some disk space.  No difference
> right?  I don't stop using the phone company because somebody uses the
> phone for something I disapprove of, right?

Standard multi-person dilemma, death and taxes (allocation), & all that. 8-)
One of the social things that p2p uncovered is that people have
a strong sense of local ownership of their own data (which is
under their own control).  Freenet is giving up control of some portion of
your local resources.  The phone company takes place out there.
If you can break the conceptual barrier, then you've got a real argument.

Heck, it took years for people to realize that the Web browser wasn't
the Web (and I'm not all that convinced the majority of people understand
the difference).   Apache used to receive hundreds (if not thousands)
of angry emails a day in response to their hello world "It Worked!"
page.  The message was that if you are seeing this page, then your
Apache installation worked.  Some poor fool would come across this
page with a browser and think that the software was installed on his or her local
computer and not that they just stumbled across a Web server that
hasn't been configured yet.  The problem?  No clean conceptual break.

Greg

--
Gregory Alan Bolcer        | [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | work: 949.833.2800
Chief Technology Officer   | http://endeavors.com   | cell: 714.928.5476