On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:19:32AM -0500, Mark J Roberts wrote:
> Timm Murray:
> > > 2) Email - nothing yet - apps urgently needed - either dedicated
> > > freenet f-mail application, or (preferably) POP/SMTP servers to
> > > support any email client in the way that fproxy/fcpproxy
> > > supports any web browser. This would be best if it uses openPGP
> > > libraries, and supports automatic key exchange, even runs a
> > > central in-freenet PK service.
> > >
> > > 3) Chat - nothing yet - value of this could be questionable
> > > because of rate of key insertions required, and their effect on
> > > Freenet
>
> Both email and chat rely on frequent polling for the next message.
> This is probably unacceptable, since it makes my job as NSA traffic
> analyst much easier.

Yes, but mail over Freenet is definitely better than normal email.
Another note is that chat would not work in practice, due to the need
for realtime message transmission (which Freenet DOES NOT provide,
even though it is realtime COMPARED TO mixnets).

> > > 4) Usenet - the FMB beta client is an excellent start - it needs
> > > to support n 'newsgroups' instead of just one.
>
> Usenet is out of the question due to flooding.

Ditto is true of mail over Freenet, and ANYTHING that is not a simple
one-way medium (normal Freenet is one-way even though anyone can put
stuff in it, because there is no intrinsic way to reply to
something).

Also, I might get involved in working on Usenet over Freenet again, or
I might leave it to someone else - I'm currently working on a much
larger project that is unrelated (but somewhat similar in that it is
at least partially /politically/ driven), so I very well may not have
any time to work on this.

--
Yes, I know my enemies.
They're the teachers who tell me to fight me.

              - Rage Against The Machine

PGP signature