From: "Patrick Oscar Boykin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I think there is obviously a difference non-commercial p2p copying,
>and a commercial entity springing up to profit off of it.
Big difference.

A big part of my inspiration for investing my time and money on the Freenet
project is a personal vision - I dare to imagine a day when the whole mass
marketing fuck machine comes crashing down harder than the World Trade
Centre towers, and people once again have to make recourse to their own
judgement, tastes, values and creativity, rather than queueing up sheep-like
to throw their money into the coffers of their consciousness-numbing
exploiters.

I often try to imagine a society where property rights exist only for
tangible resources, including physical objects, even companies and their
trademarks, but *not* for 'copyrights', 'software patents' etc.

In my opinion, copyright has brought about a state of affairs completely
opposite to what it indended.

As I understand the original intention of copyright, its purpose was to
provide incentive for creativity, by allowing people to profit from the
fruits of their inspiration.

But during 14 years in the music industry, I saw countless *excellent* bands
and artists fail; artists far better than I and far better than the
mainstream chart-toppers. They failed simply because their works didn't fit
the formulas of the largely closed-shop markets. I even had a ridiculous
argument one time with a recording engineer who insisted that a song's
quality is measured by its popularity alone!!

The enforced copyright laws provided a massive cashflow to record
publishers, who have used these funds over the decades to create a
closed-shop, applying known laws of marketing and psychology to sew up the
mass audience, and gradually condition them to accept the RIAA's prescribed
musical 'medication'.

Yes - artists do profit from copyright - about 0.1% of them, that is. The
rest survive on low incomes, even welfare, or day jobs. Most of those who do
hit the charts find most of their earnings gobbled up by the machine - a
$1million record deal, after expenses, leaves a band with perhaps a year's
rent, but years of contractual obligation. Nothing like $1million for them
unless they tour their asses off.

Same for writers.
Of all the manuscripts sent to publishers, only about 10% get read past the
cover and maybe a paragraph or two. Only about 1% go to print, with the vast
majority of those being 'remaindered' and hitting the bargain bins. At book
fairs, only the books' covers are on display - purchasers for retail
companies choose purely on that basis. Yes, a lot of shit gets written, but
commercial failure of books is not always because the quality is lacking -
often it's because the books don't fit the conditioned mass-market formula
and the fashion of the day.

For a whole perspective, we must take into account the volume of talented
musicians, authors, other creators who will never find a mass audience. From
this, we see that copyright laws are actually creating a disincentive for
creativity - contrary to original intention. The masses are largely
uninterested in independent creation, since they've been conditioned to
blindly subscribe to the mainstream product.

IMO, the entire system of copyright needs to be replaced by a system of
voluntary micropayments. That way, artists and other content-creators will,
on average, earn *much* more than they earn now.

David