> Question: I've heard a couple people say that looking up a file on FreeNet
> will always be slower than a direct HTTP request. It's my understanding
> that FreeNet works sort of like a proxy server and the slow down is really
> in locating the proxy that has the file desired. Would not FreeNet
> actually be faster in cases where a file was heavily trafficed such as
> images from the Slashdot webpage as it could come from a proxy closer to
> you on the network?

Yes, in fact if you hang around long enough, you will find a lot of people suggesting
using Freenet to overcome the Slashdot Effect.  Freenet is still slower then HTTP in
the sense that it will use more bandwidth.  An HTTP server under normal bandwidth load
will allways be faster then Freenet, but Freenet is infinatly faster then not being
able to get the document at all.