From: "Kevin A. Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Karma is a very difficult concept to understand and to even appreciate.
Most
> buddhists spend their entire lives trying to wrap their brain around it.
Naming
> a product after this, while good for you company, doesn't do anything to
honor
> the concept :(.

As far as I understand (or have tried to understand), the literal
translation of "karma" is "action", but with a negative connotation akin to
"disturbance" or "distortion", even "entropy". Action introducing distortion
to the universal flow, where such disturbance reverberates through the
collective consciousness and returns to its originator in an amplified form.

One example of karma could be:

A programmer writes some code which is poorly structured and painful to
maintain.
Other programmers trying to maintain this code experience great mental
discomfort at trying to understand it, and suffer a reduced overall quality
of life.
A chain of events happens, and eventually this programmer finds himself
being assigned to maintaining a huge volume of Microsoft .NET (shared
source) code written in C#, worse and more unreadable than any code he wrote
himself, and being held responsible for trying to find and weed out
Microsoft's security weaknesses, working 19 hours/day, and finally burning
out with a nervous breakdown.

Devout Hindus spend great energies striving to reduce or even eliminate
karma from their lives, so karma is certainly not a desirable commodity.