last i heard ian was working with http://uprizer.com/ which sounds to me like a non annonymous freenet for trusted internal that has the same target as you just described.

Robert Carroll wrote:

I'm talking about Microsoft's Farsite research project (http://research.microsoft.com/sn/Farsite/). While not really a clone, what they do have in common is to create a distributed, peer to peer file system that uses encryption to secure file contents. Farsit's goals does seem to be different in that they are stressing fault tolerance and security instead of anonymity. The designers intend it to work more like a traditional file server in the context of a semi trusted (as opposed to the internet which can be downright hostile :) network, like in a university or corporation. I thought I read somewhere that Ian was working on a similar system for use in buisness and educational institutions? Anyone want to offer some comments on this?