From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 3:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Tech] freenet/ISP status, was:Showdown at the Freenode Coral

Man, that was some funny shit in those discussions! ;-) Almost as funny as some posts
on /.

That said, the dudes' argument (finley?), is rather very, very moot. It's long since
established (since the betamax case I believe, in the usa) that you can't be held
liable for knowing that something *might* be used illegally, not even if you can
reasonably assume it is mainly used for illegal purposes (if there are other, legal
uses possible).

That said, however, there might be a point in the ISP legal status that will probably
apply to freenet too (as is the protection it gets from it); and that is, that an ISP
has to remove the illegal stuff, when notified and under his control (ability) to do
so.

Now, I always tought that the dir where you stored the freenetchunks was extra
encrypted too (above the normal encryption), but I recently read (IIP?) that it wasn't
anymore. In that case, while there could still be discussion if a 'chunk' on itself is
legal or not, and apart from the question if it constitutes entrapment or not, we
*could* have a problem in that regard.

If someone asks for a, say, copyrighted file, and gets it (or the chunks and their chk
keys) from a node, he can then do what ppl can do with ISPs: ask for the IP, and treat
the node he got it from as ISP, and demand that all infringing chunks are immediately
removed. A bit of a tiresome thing.

I would therefor argue - if this is not the case (anymore), to re-encrypt the whole
storage with an extra layer of encryption, purely on the client side. It doesn't have
to be very strong; even a mere 16 or even 8 bit encryption would be enough to alter
the chks one can find in ones' node (visually), making it impossible for you to
actually go look if the keys are there (in a recognisable way).

Could be I'm preaching to the choir, however...is this being done, still? If not,
wouldn't it be a good idea to do so? The Higher Gods can fill this in, no doubt.