On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:15:41 +0000, Matthew Toseland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm.
>
> As far as loading goes, you have the problem of limits on simultaneous
> fetches. There would potentially be several hundred alinks on the
> page, and the browser might well block while loading them - or the
> node might. The node is limited to 24-36 simultaneous fproxy requests.

So then, how does TFE get away with it?  :-)

No, seriously, is this a hard-coded limit, or is it determined
on-the-fly, based on the current level of activity?

> And now, content:
> TFE does not include alinks for every site. Partly this is because
> DNFing alinks take longer to load. But partly it's because of concerns
> about content. He links to everything, but doesn't alink to
> everything. Personally I might prefer not to use an index which caused
> the propagation of _all_ sites it linked to - all the pedophilia, all
> the porn, all the hate speech, and so on. And even in a 95x32 alink
> image, you _CAN_ produce some seriously disturbing images. Also I am
> of the opinion that authors of index sites really ought to be
> anonymous, or they are storing up all sorts of trouble for themselves,
> but you've already blown that, so I'm not criticising... :)

See my reply to Todd Walton's post in this thread for my thoughts on the
above.

> I rather like YoYo's approach, with alinks for everything but a
> separate page for each category. Of course this isn't ideal, as you
> always have to worry about New/Updated, if you use it.

Yes, but, one of the things that I find annoying about YoYo, and about
the new "Hopeless" and "Oscar" index sites, is the lag involved in
only to find that you're suddenly faced with an interminable wait for a
category's sub-page to load.

> One other suggestion: Would it be hard to run it dual-format? Have the
> whole set of pages both with and without alinks?

That's a possibility, sure.  Wouldn't be that hard to pull off.

> Just my 2p. Feel free to completely ignore, I do not speak for the
> project.

Well, I'm just personally of the "free everything" school of thought.  I
really like the idea of just letting the information flow, regardless of
content.  I'd hate to get into making value judgements re: which sites
merit more propagation than others and whatnot.

If people didn't like the notion of helping to propagate certain sites,
they would then have to decide what was more important to them: having
full access to and use of this index site, or sacrificing some utility
and convenience for the sake of maintaining their moral position as
intact as possible.

Actually, the idea of putting (some) people in the position of having to
choose along such lines does have its charms, I must say.  :-)  But
that's just me, of course.  I do have something of the rebel/iconoclast
in me, you might say.  :-)

We'll see.  I'm in no hurry to make any radical changes just yet, and I
do value the opinions of others on this.

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- "In Unix veritas"