On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:40:13 -0800, Todd Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:20:43 -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, both the latest stable and unstable
> > are perfectly compatible with each other.  We really
> > might even wish to consider just going ahead and
> > enabling the dual-network mode by default in versions
> > 510x and 6026x.  I think this could be a real boon
> > to the currently existing network(s).
>
> Why?  1) How active is the unstable network? 2) How much of that
> activity is by people who are not also contributing to the stable
> network?  3) Wouldn't a node serving both networks risk overloading,
> and thus weighing down both of them?  4) Weren't you yourself saying,
> just a while back, that running dual-network was an activity for an
> "elite"?

1) Using the seednodes files as a reference, it seems that unstable is
fairly active.  Not as active as stable, of course, but active enough to
warrant consideration.

2) No way to answer this question, really.  :-)

3) No, there would be no greater risk of overloading a node, as it would
adjust itself in exactly the same manner, regardless of the node
versions it was connecting with.

4) I only meant that it was "elite" in the sense that, because it was
NOT enabled by default, one had to take extraordinary measures to
activate this facility.

> > Of course, 0.7 is bound to bring some radical changes,
> > where we'd want to disable this feature again, but for
> > now, it might be nice to build it into the downloadable
> > packages, so everyone could benefit from it.
>
> I think we could benefit from somebody taking over maintenance of 0.6
> while the 0.7 rewrite is being done.  Somebody Toad (and the rest of
> us!) could trust.  Somebody with the energy needed to do it.  Somebody
> who has a few ideas about how he'd accomplish such a task.

I agree.  I'd hate to see 0.6 languish totally while Toad is busy with
his 0.7 rewrite.  There's always room for improvement/new ideas.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- "In Unix veritas"