In the thesis abstract the claim is made that their techniques work against systems using NTP. It wouldn't be much of a Ph. D. project if it didn't.

The abstract is at: http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/2005/fingerprinting/index.xml

Checking out the full paper, it seems that these folks have linear analysis method that can accommodate BSD and Linux style NTP update daemons. However, it looks to me like this method might run into trouble when trying to identify one system out of thousands or millions. Their sample size was not that large. Also, they reported that laptop clock skew was effected by battery vs AC power, so there's another wrinkle.

Jeff Furgal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Matthew Toseland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

03/08/05 04:18 PM

Adam Duck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
chat@freenetproject.org
Subject
Re: [freenet-chat] Device Fingerprinting

This _IS_ a timing attack. And it was discussed just recently on this
list. At present Freenet never communicates absolute timestamps, and the
attack seems to be mainly aimed at NATs.

Can this be used if NTP is installed to keep the clock synchronized?

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]