Apparently Iran blocks all HTTP proxies... China doesn't do this yet.

<abcdef> all tor routers are blocked in iran
<abcdef> is there any web-censorship-circumvention net which operates
like freenet?
<abcdef> I got a technical question
<abcdef> u c when u try to connect to a proxy in Iran, no matter what
port you're using
<abcdef> when you try to load a webpage, it time-outs
<FuriousRage> use an anonymous proxy then it should work
<abcdef> I told my brother who lives in the uk to set up a proxy on his
machine
<abcdef> I can access his webpages (apache)
<abcdef> but nomatter what port he sets, it doesnt work
<abcdef> what could the ISP have done?
<abcdef> and that's the reason why tor does not work in Iran
<abcdef> the whole idea behind tor was so stupid it's unbelievable
<abcdef> by unbelievable i mean UNNNbelievable
<Bludapoto> In what way abcdef?
<Bludapoto> I mean, it's just an automatic proxy chain for socks traffic
<abcdef> it uses proxy to connect, uses certain routers which are
blocked by all filtering products
<FuriousRage> abcdef: i belive you can use *any* port for tor
<abcdef> it could have been a distributed net like freenet
<FuriousRage> try use port 80 and see if it works
<abcdef> already tried that
<FuriousRage> abcdef: ask in #tor they should have more indept knowledge
<abcdef> for tor and other proxies
<abcdef> on my bro's machine in the uk
<Bludapoto> abcdef, TOR is distributed. You can run your node as an
accessor, or as a router
<abcdef> hmmm
<abcdef> thanks for info Bludapoto
<Bludapoto> welcome - but definitely check in #tor
<Bludapoto> They've also got a TON of docs online, very helpful overall.
Tor's kind of .. small, anyway.
<abcdef> I'm jest a little frustrated by this fuckin' taliban censorship
<FuriousRage> abcdef: cant you just use an anonymous http proxy?
<Bludapoto> By which I mean the Tor community/userbase. Hidden Services
are usually slower than freenet, and it's pretty much just a bunch of
people celebrating the fact that they're circumventing. It got kind of
boring after a few days.
<Caco_Patane> put you eforts on freenet in order to transform that
frustration into happiness, proud and joy =D
<abcdef> like cgi-proxy?
<abcdef> I cannot use any proxy set on the user agent
<abcdef> no matter socks,SSL, regular anything
<FuriousRage> you should be able to set an http proxy in your browser
<abcdef> I know they used to work up until 2004
<FuriousRage> Bludapoto: i got fed up with tor over irc, keep d/c me,
now i got hold of an oper here to set me an cloak
<Caco_Patane> what about a SSH tunnel, do you have any server outside?
<abcdef> but the ministry of IT which is the exclusive ICP, found a way
to prevent browsers from using proxies
<Bludapoto> Furious: nice
<FuriousRage> abcdef: they can tprevent your browser to use proxy on
your computer unless you install some software they provide to fuck you
your box
<abcdef> nah, they have blocked proxy access on their fuckin' servers
<FuriousRage> abcdef: althought, if you got a friend outside iran, and
he got an 24/7 computer using linux(most likly) you could ask him to
give you an anonymous proxy acces of somesort, like http tunneling, or
over vpn or something
<abcdef> my bro's IP was not blocked, I could view his webpages (he uses
apache) , but couldn't
<abcdef> use his proxy
<abcdef> VPN works
<FuriousRage> abcdef: there's many ways to tunnel http traffic afaik,
just cant get many to mind atm ;>
<sich> then you need to connect with vpn outside iran, and then use some
proxy inside the vpn
<Bludapoto> Furious: Thanks for the help.
<sich> but you need to find someone who give you access on is proxy
<FuriousRage> np
<FuriousRage> sich: there is tons of free working 100%(?) anonymous
proxies, i have used many sometimes ;>
<abcdef> well, I want all those stupid fuckin' muslims be able to
<abcdef> bypass censorship
<abcdef> not everybody has a friend/family overseas
<sich> FuriousRage: yes, but apparently he can't connect to any proxy
<abcdef> and proxy and tor work neither
<abcdef> that's why I say the idea behind tor was stupid
<FuriousRage> sich: not directly, but thru someones other box he should
be since vpn works..
<abcdef> coz it's based on socks
<sich> yes, exact, but the problem is not to be anonymous, but to bypass
control
<sich> then there is no need to use anonymous proxy
<abcdef> the anonimity is not an issue here
<abcdef> (Iran)
<FuriousRage> could tunnel the http traffic over ssh afaik too
<abcdef> the only accessible websites are piles upon piles of islamic
shit
<abcdef> all free hosts are blocked
<abcdef> most blogspot blogs are blocked
<abcdef> geocities got blocked in 2004
<sich> they block http traffic but not irc ?
<abcdef> not yet
<abcdef> the other side of the problem is that there are thousands of
free american hosts out there
<FuriousRage> tunnel http traffic over ssh on port 80 or 8080, should
work perhaps
<sich> on my opinion the only real way to bypass all this problems, is
to find some friends
<sich> and use vpn + proxy
<abcdef> but one can't register and upload phProxy coz they block IPs
from Iran and North Korea due to stupid US sanctions
<sich> hum, yes....
<sich> I see that usa law are stupid, like in France
<abcdef> and the next day, u see Pres. George Bush (whom I thank for
freeing Afghans) in TV
<abcdef> talking about funding anonimizer web-based proxy servers
<abcdef> for offering free access to Iranian IPs
<abcdef> what a moron!
<FuriousRage> you can say that again ;>
<Caco_Patane> abcdef have your tried freenet? you were able to connect
to somebody?
<abcdef> yeah
<abcdef> freenet (still) works but I'm looking for a network like #tor
<abcdef> I got no problem bypassing censorship myself
<abcdef> I need to find a dummy-friendly to offer to Iranians
<sich> it's not eays, you need to trust him, and he need to trust you to
<sich> brb
<abcdef> well, I don't trust nobody on freenet
<abcdef> but I exchange my ref key with them
<abcdef> I'm not talking about anonimity, no Iranian authority can
question you why u viewed a website full of Muhammad cartoons
<abcdef> they have arrested many content creators though
<nextgens> abcdef: they are probably fingerprinting/blocking proxying
protocols
<nextgens> the solution is to access proxies not using them
<nextgens> or through ssl connections
<abcdef> any info on these fingerprinting techniques?
<abcdef> I mean any possible technique for blocking proxy use?
<nextgens> it's trivial
<FuriousRage> some/many propxies screams loud and clear that they are
proxies afaik
<nextgens> you detect the session bytes of proxied connections
<abcdef> i c
<nextgens> and you send a RST at both ends
<nextgens> "trivial" :p
<abcdef> I need book titles any suggestions
<nextgens> FuriousRage: it's not a blacklist
<abcdef> I'm sorry I'm so dumb I'm wasting your time
<nextgens> it's dataflow analysis
<abcdef> packet analyzing right?
<nextgens> yes
<nextgens> try using SSH if you have a trusted hop "outsite"
<nextgens> abcdef: ssh -D <port>
<abcdef> ok i'll give it a try
<abcdef> thanks
<nextgens> and configure your browsert to listen on the socks address
localhost:<port>
<nextgens> it will work
<abcdef> damn
<abcdef> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp blocks Iranians
IPs
<abcdef> does the Java license permit me to mirror it?
<abcdef> java.sun.com says: Export Denied blah blah blah Iran, North
Korea blah blah
<abcdef> that's why I wanna rewrite the whole java code in c
<abcdef> nevermind bye
--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]