It's possible to run two nodes in the same JVM, although not trivially
so. And yes it's quite possible to have multiple node-[num] etc in the
same dir. What you have to do is start freenet with an explicit config
filename. You can even use the wrapper: rename run.sh to run-one.sh, and
copy it to run-two.sh. Do the same thing with wrapper.conf and
freenet.ini, and edit each to point to the relevant other one. Make sure
the nodes run on different ports, and rename any fixed filenames in the
.ini's (I think downloads.dat is the only real one). Change the
application names (both long and short) in the run*.sh's; that will give
you unique lock files. This really ought to be on the wiki somewhere...
Please write a page about it when you get it working. :)

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]