----- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----- 2007.02.28 - 11:46:38GMT -----

(Source: http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/faculty/2005/10/taking_freenet_.html)

Taking Freenet Seriously: A Response to Picker on Peer-to-Peer

Randy raises a fascinating question below about the appropriate uses for
Peer-to-Peer technologies, and he and Tim Wu have begun an interesting dialogue
in the comments. Let me suggest an alternative answer to Tim’s.

Peer-to-Peer technologies have substantial utility in those circumstances where
anonymity or decentralization are desirable.  So, as Ian Clarke has long argued
with respect to Freenet, peer-to-peer can be an effective mechanism for
enabling free political speech in those parts of the world that have repressive
governments.  It is relatively easy for a repressive government to shut down
one or a dozen central servers, but virtually impossible for them to shut down
all content-hosting peers, unless they’re willing to turn off Internet access
altogether.  Similarly, with central severs, it is much easier to compile a
list of the Internet addresses belonging to content downloaders, but much
harder to do this effectively when the distribution channels are peer-to-peer.
There is enormous potential for these kinds of technologies to promote freedom
and democracy in authoritarian regimes and robust, uninhibited debate in freer
societies where legal liability concerns and social norms constrain discourse
unduly.

At the same time, anonymity and decentralization have substantial downsides in
the speech context.  Darknets facilitate child pornography distribution.
Peer-to-peer allows privacy-invading MPEG files to spread across the globe in
hours, well before any court can intervene with injunctive relief.  And
anonymity and decentralization on P2P can contribute to the rapid spread of
computer viruses, thwarting efforts to control viruses through the imposition
of legal liability on content providers and disseminators.

So we have an environment in which P2P creates substantial speech-related
benefits and speech-related harms.  In these settings, we can resolve this
issue in one of two ways: Compare the magnitude of the benefits and harms (This
is what the Ginsburg concurrence in Grokster seemed to want to do – More people
want to use Grokster to obtain porn than political theory); or give the benefit
of the doubt to the “more speech is better” philosophy, and tolerate many less
savory uses of P2P for the benefit of the occasional blessed use (This seems
closer to Breyer’s view of Sony in Grokster.).  The former is how the law
usually handles economic policy questions, and the latter, I think, is how it
handles many free speech questions.  So doesn’t this all boil down to the
question of “What is Peer to Peer use: Economic conduct or speech?”