On Tuesday 28 September 2010 20:17:26 Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM, <jdavie...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that, Joel.  The "Taxed Enough Already" (TEA) party movement has
> > been the unfortunate victim of a very successful smear campaign - partly
> > because it's managed to attract a handful of the wrong sorts of people, but
> > mostly because it's become a very real threat to the Washington
> > establishment.  We "scum" are Freenet's best hope - as you can see, the
> > current, supposedly "tech-savvy" U.S. political administration hasn't lived
> > up to your expectations.
>
> I certainly don't think the tea party are scum, I just think that a lot of
> libertarians, who think that the tea party is about libertarianism, are
> going to get a rude awakening once they get into power, just as they did
> when the Republicans took over the house and congress in the mid-90s.
>
> Also, a lot of their positions are contradictory.  They claim they oppose
> the deficit, yet they want a tax cut for people who don't need it, paid for
> by increasing the deficit.  They oppose spending, yet supported the Bush tax
> cuts and the Iraq war, which together dwarf the combined effect of the
> recovery measures, tarp, and the economic downturn, in terms of their impact
> on the deficit.

I am replying to the two tea party fans off-list since even on chat@ there is
some expectation that content be vaguely Freenet-related. For the record, if I
had originally written the mail for wide distribution I wouldn't have called
the Tea Party scum, but that *is* what I believe, and I will justify this
position off-list. (I might post it on my blog too).