Hello all,

I've been musing about how it could be for a freenet-like project to try to leverage the mobile trend. Today, smartphones are basically pocket computers and, for something as resource-heavy as freenet may be still ill-suited. However, I remember when I laughed at the idea of Youtube and video-on-demand (my country, at that time, was clearly behind the times on internet access, so I couldn't contemplate anything but download first and see later), and now it's painful how foolish and short-sighted I was. So why not brainstorm about a purely mobile-based, censor-resistant project, for the fun of it.

I have not given too much time to this so I will list in no particular order a series of bullet points that I see more or less clearly. Your impressions welcome!

* It's clearly possible that I've missed a project already doing something like this. Is this so?

* Smartphones have currently several drawbacks for this kind of use: battery life, data plans, and storage. Others?

* To tackle the two first ones, I see in the beginning a high-latency use when you'd only connect to the network when the phone is plugged-in and connected to some wifi. As limiting as this seems, this still amount to 15+ hours a day in my case (during work & sleep time).

* Limited storage: I could, right now, devote something like 200-500 MB from my phone. Stretching it, I could go to 1GB. I think this is simultaneously bad and good: Bad because this precludes sharing large amounts of info, but good because it would act as a forceful limit on the amount of data being put on the network, at least in the beginning. I think, anyway, that this would be one of the first constraints to become irrelevant.

* NATed connections: Until IPv6 is the standard, I guess most connections would be from behind routers. I'm a bit years behind on this topic but I guess UPnP should do the trick.

* Leverage user contacts to bootstrap a darknet-like topology: I'm not sure about the implications of this. Still, I envision a three-level contact priority: manually approved contacts (akin to darknet ones), then contacts from the agenda but not manually approved, then opennet-like ones found automatically by the network somehow.

That's all that comes to my mind right now. Cheers!