At 06:06 PM 12/31/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> > At 07:35 PM 12/30/2001 -0500, "Thad Eckard" wrote:
> > >Should my port number say "0" ?
> > >I am having problems getting started and getting useful information on
> how
> > >to get started.
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> >

> > If you are planning on running a transient node, then I would assume this
> > is OK.  If you are planning on running a non-transient node, this is
> not so
> > good.  Can you tell which port number is 0 or what it is that is showing
> > your port number to be 0?  Can you tell if the port number you are seeing
> > that is 0 is what is called the listening port?  Are you on Windows or
> some
> > other operating system?  I am not too familiar with setting up a node on
> > Windows.
>
>IIRC, nothing can sit on port 0, transient or not.

Yes, nothing that I know of can use port 0 either.

I was guessing that port 0, wherever it was seen, might represent the
absence of a specified listenPort.  If no listenPort is specified the node
selects one for you at random (from a certain range).  In fact, I do that
with one of my transient nodes I play with so every time I start it, I
automatically get a new datastore (and identity) (assuming that the port
that the node has chosen to use hasn't been used before).

Anyway, I still don't know where Thad Eckard saw port number 0 to ask about
it.  I can only guess what it might mean.