Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
Hi all,

  I want to introduce you one of the new features in which I have been
  working for the next release..

  The target was to clean up a little bit the syntax of the Request
  entries. In 0.4.29 it works like:

=============
  Request "^/dir1/.*/file$" {
    Handler redir {
      Rewrite "^/dir1/(.*)/file$" "http://example.com/$1";
    }
  }
=============

  In the next release, it will support the previous configuration
  entry and this new syntax which, in my opinion, makes much more
  sense:

=============
  Request "^/dir1/(.*)/file$" {
    Handler redir {
      Rewrite "http://example.com/$1";
    }
  }

  It is also slightly faster than the previous one (it needs to parse
  one regular expression less).

  Comments? Ideas? :-)

maybe I stayed a little overly long day at a Boxing Day party but something doesn't strike me as quite right.

Looking in the documentation http://www.0x50.org/doc/Redirections.html it looks like you want the input of the rewrites sequence to be the shortened form of the name and the output to be a longer form of the name. Whereas it looks like your example has it backwards (i.e. longer URL to shortened form). I'm going to assume I'm missing something obvious.

--- eric