I bought one complete for 100 bucks.

Jim Buckingham
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 11:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Buying a used engine block

Hey guys... I'm really wanting to put a 406 in my car, but can't really afford to just buy one right now.  I'd like to buy a block and then buy the carm, heads, pistons, etc. as I get money.  It seems to be a pretty popular engine to build right now, so I'd like to get a block before they're too scarce.

I thought I'd ask all of the experienced engine builders out there about how to go about finding a block, specifically a 2-bolt 400.  Where is the best place to buy a used block?  A wrecking yard, through classified ads, word of mouth?  What are some questions to ask when buying?  How do I know the block is good before I buy it?  Is it better to get a whole engine if possible, or is that just wasted money since I'm going rebuild and put all new parts in anyway?  Maybe there's some parts that are reuseable?  If so, what are they?  What do you think the price range is on a used 400 2-bolt block?

Any other words of wisdom welcome.

Rodney.
71 Chevelle
Phoenix, AZ