Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 9:56 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Anybody running Flowmaster mufflers behind stock exhaust manifolds and header pipes?

Is anybody out there running Flowmaster 2-chamber or 3-chamber mufflers and tailpipes behind stock exhaust manifolds and header pipes?

After taking a detour last week to order a new gas tank & the accompanying h/w, I'm back to thinking about a new exhaust system.  When I got my new Year One catalog in the mail with my gas tank bolt shipmen over the weekend, I noticed that the catalog lists the stock muffler dimensions as 25" overall length with a 21" case length, whereas the Flowmaster 3-chamber dimensions are 22" overall & 16" case and the 2-chamber dimensions are 19" overall & 13" case.

Given that the Flowmaster mufflers are "shorter" than stock mufflers and the Flowmaster tailpipes claim to be the same length and bend footprints as stock tailpipes, I'm wondering if I'd be able to connect a set of Flowmaster mufflers and tailpipes directly to my stock 80" header pipes or whether I'll need some sort of "extensions" (to get the muflers to sit far enough back so that the tailpipes will loop over the rear properly).

(I realize that a muffler shop could properly rig up something with no sweat, but I was hoping that I could just buy all "off-the-shelf" parts and be able to assemble everything right out of the box without needing any special bending or welding tools).

If anybody has any experience or thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them!

        Jim -no-69SS-cars-at