Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 8:00 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Another VIN Question

Thanks to all who helped with the last question.  Ended up the guy had really lost the cowl tag... easy replacement.  I just received another email from another Chevelle owner......(please see below).  Thanks in advance for your help.

Donnie Gates

HI,

My name is Bill, and I recently bought a '70 SS clone from a guy I have known for 25 years (he had the car that long too).  When I bought the car, it never occured to me to check the VIN tag in the dash.  I have now discovered that the tag is gone.  He said the tag was lost when the car was in the body shop, and they replaced the windshield.  I have since learned that many people have problems with the tag when they replace the windshield.  Nevertheless, I am now trying to verify the car to the title.  It is a Canadian car (according to the title VIN, which does not have an alpha charachter in it).  Anyway, I have looked in the places suggested by local law enforcement veterans, but I have not had any luck.  I figured that perhaps someone in your club who has done a frame-off has laid eyes on such "hidden" numbers, and could direct me.  It would be helpful to have an exact location and number size.  Any help is greatly appreciated.