I installed a 1406 carb and HEI on my 67 ElCamino. I think I went to
timed vacuum.
  Make sure you replace the resistor wire, with a wire that delivers a
full 12 volts to the HEI all the time.
  Team Chevelle should have further information.

I have been running my set up for over three years, with no problems.
I have made two runs from So. cal. to Northern Arizona and back. Two
legs loaded with Harley and two legs running empty. I also ran to Reno
and back in hot August daytime heat. All runs were straight thru, with
only gas stops and food stops.

 That combination works well!
   Reed